What is a vintage wedding theme?
Vintage inspired looks from every era have never been hotter ....... So you are drawn to the vintage era & chose this theme for your very special day but when is it vintage? Well it is generally accepted that clothing from the 1920's to the 1960's is considered to be vintage although nowadays as each decade passes a new vintage wedding era is created hence whilst not quite as popular as others, the 1970's are now becoming a fashionable theme for the modern bride.
Style Ideas for your vintage wedding
If you'd like to embrace a true vintage wedding theme for your dress & accessories, seek out your local charity & second hand shop or vintage boutique to gain inspiration. Here are a few vintage wedding ideas to help you along the way.
- The 1920's conjures up a picture of the flapper - the waistline was very low with hemlines to make you Grandmother blush. & of course oodles of beading, furs, feathers, flowers, and lace
- Fast forward to the 1930's & an air of sophistication .... think Joan Crawford, Katherine Hepburn, Greta Garbo ... an elegant & well fitting wedding dress with hem lines below the knee.
- In the 1940's, brides exuded glamour – wearing padded shoulders, sweetheart necklines, and lengthy bridal point sleeves.
- 1950s fashions emphasised fragile femininity, in the form of soft shoulders, stiletto heels, wrist-length gloves and full, billowing skirts.
- Racing forward to the 1960's think Jackie Kennedy & Twiggy ....from the very classy to the very wild with bright colours & revealing hems!
- And so to the 1970's whilst not yet as popular an era to replicate for a vintage wedding theme is the perfect "era inspiration" for the natural, free spirited, bohemian bride.
You can of course choose to mix two eras together to form your very own unique vintage wedding look, choose two consecutive eras between the 1920s and the 1960s and stay within the vintage style elements of those two eras.
Vintage Wedding Ideas for your hair
OK so you have now chosen your dream vintage wedding era ...... you have found your perfect wedding dress now you need to add some glorious vintage wedding accessories so let's start with some ideas for your hair.
A Vintage Wedding hair sash or band is an ideal accessory if you are going for the 1920's look & feel
And here are a few Vintage Wedding Tiara ideas which would suite any vintage theme
Of course you could always style your hair with a antique wedding inspired hair comb or hairpins...
And not forgetting some truly inspirational vintage wedding jewellery ideas just for you ......
Are you vintage inspired yet??? Did you know that the Victorians were responsible for the origin of the traditional saying “Something old, Something new, Something borrowed, Something blue”. Well here are some vintage wedding finishing touches ideas just for you...
No matter which era you have opted for or perhaps you have gone for a marriage of vintage wedding styles don't forget you finishing touches accessories ... here are a few to whet your appetite even further ......
You never know when you will need a lovely wedding umbrella come rain or shine they always look perfect in your wedding photos
A lucky garter for the bride these vintage wedding style garters make a great keepsake gift, to add that special touch why not consider a personalised garter which has a beautiful sterling silver heart which can be engraved with your initials or wedding date.
For extra luck a this lovely lucky horseshoe design is perfect for the bride with a vintage wedding theme whatever the chosen era.
Get started on planning your Wedding
So I hope that we have given you some superb vintage wedding ideas & inspiration to help you bring together your dream wedding day. From Victorian white wedding dresses to antique lace bridal gowns, the vintage wedding captures the essence of glamour, sophistication, and history. Today, siding with a vintage wedding style incorporates the beauty and appeal of fashion trends gone by. Plus, haven’t you ever heard that choosing a vintage wedding dress is considered good luck for a blushing bride?
Need more help?
For some more gorgeous vintage wedding ideas check out our Aye Do boards on Pinterest or email our UK team: email@example.com or give us a call on 08456 808093 we are here to help. We're only too happy to help.